MUSHROOM POISONING SYNDROMES
Poison Control Center Number:
Don't eat any mushroom based upon what you see in a video or a book. Always have a local expert show you what is good to eat and what is not.
The following is for educational and reference only -- not for diagnosis and/or treatment.
• Latency = the time from ingestion to onset of symptoms.
I. Cyclopeptide poisoning -- Certain Amanitas, Lepiotas, and Galerinas, etc.
• Latency is around 6 to 24 hours.
First stage symptoms: violent vomiting, diarrhea, and severe abdominal cramps.
Second stage: presumed recovery - 24 hours
The third, and the worst, stage of the illness follows with major liver damage and death possible.
II. Gyromitrin -- Monomethylhydrazine
• Latency is 2 to 24 hours. Symptoms include: headaches, abdominal distress, severe diarrhea, and vomiting. Possibility of liver and kidney damage. In Europe, some of the Gyromitras have been known to cause death.
III. Gastro-Intestinal syndrome -- Different toxins
• Latency: within a couple of hours of ingestion.
General symptoms for this group are: nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea with the possibility of mild to acute stomach or intestinal cramps.
IV. Ibotenic Acid -- Muscimol Poisoning
• Latency is 30 min. to 2 hours.
The symptoms, in order of appearance are:
1. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea,
2. Muscle incoordination, visual distortions, enhanced colors,
3. Drowsiness, deep sleep.
Effects can last 8-24 hours.
V. Muscarine Poisoning
• Latency: 15-30 minutes.
The symptoms of muscarine poisoning are characterized by what is called the "PSL" syndrome: sweating, salivating, tearing, as well as slowed pulse rate and lowered blood pressure and/or vomiting and diarrhea.
"PSL": perspiration, salivation, and lacrymation.
VI. Coprine Poisoning
• Latency: from a few minutes to days.
Symptoms include: hot flashes, heart palpitations or fast heartbeat, headaches, and possibly nausea or vomiting.
VII. Psilocybes -- (Magic Mushrooms)
• Latency: within an hour or so.
Effects can last up to four to six hours or more. Symptoms include: possibility of nausea and/or vomiting first. Then heightened color perception, ecstasy or anxiety, hallucinations, and or delusions.